Wednesday, September 30, 2015

31 Days of Halloween 2015! The List!

It's that time a year again! Halloween! As I try to do every year, I go thru all of my DVDs and VHS tapes and put together a list of films and TV Show episodes to watch during the month of October. I start on Oct 1 and go all the way through Halloween. Ideally, I watch one thing a day.  But that doesn't always happen.  The list is made up of movies as well as TV Shows and short films of various lengths...so on those certain days where the real world prohibits it, I have something I can watch that won't take 2 whole hours. And then of course, on other days, I may try to knock out a bunch of movies at once.

There's no way to get them all...even after I pare them down, it's still always too big of a list to watch them all in 31 days. This year's list was a bit over 40 titles.  But I try my best. Also, there are always movies not on this list that will get thrown in as the month goes on I'm sure.  There always are.  Many of these were on the list last year but I never got to them since I substituted other titles.

Also, many of my favorite horror movies are never on here (Dawn of the Dead comes to mind) because for Halloween, I need a certain kind of mood.  Monsters or ghost stories...autumn settings, something like that.

And I'll post more in-depth reviews of all of the ones as I watch during the month.

See the list right below the READ HERE


Here's the list--more or less in alphabetical order

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN

A classic!  (also, love this fake board game cover.)  A great way to see all my favorite monsters in one place!  And have a huge laugh at the same time!






ASH VS EVIL DEAD

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS SHOW.  So excited!  It premieres Halloween night.  I can't guarantee I'll be able to watch it in October....cause who knows what can happen Halloween Night.  But I'm so excited I'm adding it on.



BE COOL SCOOBY DOO

Okay, so the new Scooby Doo show starts Oct 5.  As always, I have high hopes.  I wish it was more MYSTERY, INC.   I also wish it wasn't aping the more popular Adult Swim animation style.  But I'm excited anyway.



BEETLEJUICE

I hadn't seem this in so long until last year.  Looking forward to watching it again!




THE CHANGELING

This is one of my all time favorite creepy movies. There are very few movies that can give me the creeps and outright frighten me...and this is one of them. I had goosebumps on my goosebumps the first time watching this. Great, great ghost story and been way too long since I've seen it.




CREEPSHOW

Not too much to say about this movie, it's great! Romero hits it out of the park as usual. Been awhile since I've watched it, so looking forward to it. Also, this is the new Blu-Ray, which I bought a couple of years ago but still haven't checked out.




CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF

Hammer Horror!  Could be substituted with other titles as well.




THE DEVIL RIDES OUT

Love this movie!  Christopher Lee gets to be a good guy!  Charles Gray is a satanist!  Love it!





DR PHIBES RISES AGAIN


Don't think I need to say more than Vincent Price! Doctor Phibes! (And though it's not on the official list, I have a feeling THEATRE OF BLOOD may creep on here at some point, too.)






DRACULA DEAD AND LOVING IT

Okay, this was not my favorite Mel Brooks movie when I first saw it.  In fact, I don't remember liking it that much.  But I've been wanting to revisit it for a long time now.  What better time of the year?




DRACULA (1979)

I LOVE this 1979 Frank Langella Dracula (with Lawrence Olivier as Van Helsing!) I think it's a kind of gothic masterpiece and I just love it to death! Perfect for Halloween.





ED WOOD

Tim Burton's best film and one of my favorites.





ELVIRA MISTRESS OF THE DARK

Elvira!  What more needs to be said?  LOVE this movie and her.  HAUNTED HILLS may also be watched and any number of MOVIE MACABRE episodes.





EVIL DEAD, EVIL DEAD II and MEDIEVAL DEAD

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's ARMY OF DARKNESS.  But I love saying all three of those together.  Gotta get geared up for ASH VS EVIL DEAD!





FRANKENSTEIN SINGS

Okay, this movie starring Boris Pickett and based on a musical he wrote is pretty darn horrible. But in a wonderful way. My awesome wife gave me this on VHS years ago and while it is horrible...we both agreed that it was required Halloween viewing. Will write more after viewing.





FRIDAY THE 13TH THE SERIES

I love this show.  I watched it when it originally aired and loved it then (and had a HUGE crush on Robey) and love it now.  I have them all on DVD and plan on catching as many episodes as I can this year. Love this show.





GARTH MARENGHI'S DARKPLACE

Now that I've got my region free DVD player hooked up again...time to rewatch this all time classic horror/comedy show.  So great!






GHOSTWATCH

This fake BBC broadcast...featuring real TV personalities and news anchors...caused a huge commotion in the UK when it first aired (before reality TV.) Sort of a Orson Welles War of the Worlds but with ghosts and on TV. And I can see why....it's creepy as all hell! It really is a beautifully put together show that is almost like "creepypasta: the movie." Haven't seen it in a long time, but as i said above, I recently dug my region free DVD player out and so this Halloween is the time! (This show also originally aired on Halloween night.)






IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN

I don't think I need to explain why this is on the list. If I could only watch one thing, this would be it. As a kid, I recorded the audio on a tape player and would listen to it all year round.






HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH

All you that hate this?  You're wrong.  So very, very, very wrong.  Has always been one of my favorite all time horror movies especially on Halloween.





HALLOWEEN

The classic!  Maybe I'll even catch it on the big screen.  McHenry Outdoor Drive-In has this and HALLOWEEN II this month!  (http://www.goldenagecinemas.com/mchenry.html)






HARRY POTTER FILMS

I've been meaning to watch all these again (and truth to be told, I haven't seen the last three--counting the last one as two movies.)   It's a big undertaking so not sure if I'll get them all in October, but the time seems right.




HORROR OF DRACULA



Peter Cushing is the most bad ass Van Helsing of ALL TIME.






THE HOWLING & THE HOWLING II: YOUR SISTER IS A WEREWOLF




THE HOWLING is one of the best werewolf films ever.  HOWLING II is not.






KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK

I don't need to explain myself to you.





LORDS OF SALEM

I know this movie has it's haters, but I LOVE it.  And it's a perfect October movie.




THE LOST BOYS

Been too long since I've watched this staple of my youth!






LOVE AT FIRST BITE

Need some comedy in there.  Love this!





MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH

Price!  Corman!  Poe!





MAY

A great, original horror film that takes place around...you guessed it...Halloween!








PAUL LYNDE'S HALLOWEEN SPECIAL



I told you I don't have to explain myself to you!!!!







PET SEMATARY

Haven't watched this in a long time.  Looking forward to seeing it again.





PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE

I love this movie and I think I love it more every time I see it. Great Brian DePalma movie with awesome Paul Williams music. And Jessica Harper! Gerrit Graham! 






RE-ANIMATOR

One of my all time faves. And you know, you need at least one HP Lovecraft movie on this list. Also, I bought this Blu-Ray a couple of years ago and have still never watched it.





RINGU & RINGU 2                                                      


I have not seen either of these in forever...and RINGU 2 only once. But I can't wait to watch them again. I remember finding RINGU 2 even scarier than RINGU, we'll see if that opinion stays the same!






SALEM'S LOT

Forget IT, this is the awesome Stephen King miniseries (this and STORM OF THE CENTURY.) Perfect for the Halloween season! 3 hours of creepy greatness!







SCREAM

Been so long since I've watched this.





SLEEPY HOLLOW

Hmm...I'll admit I'm surprised how many Tim Burton movies are on the list.







SUSPIRIA

One of the all time spooky classics!  That Goblin music!






THE OLD DARK HOUSE

I'm sure I'll get some more Universal Classics in there during the month, but this is one of the best and a hoot to watch!



WILLARD

This was on my list last year and I didn't get to it. Saw it in the theaters and then when I got it on DVD, but haven't watched since. Remember really liking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment