Monday, September 22, 2014

31 Days of Halloween 2014! The List

It's that time a year again!  Halloween!  As I try to do every year, I go thru all of my DVDs and VHS tapes (and this year my Netflix Queue as well!) and put together a list of films and TV Show episodes to watch during the month of October.  I start on Oct 1 and go all the way through Halloween.  Ideally, I watch one thing a day.  The list is made up of movies as well as TV Shows and short films of various lengths...so on those certain days where the real world prohibits it, I have something I can watch that won't take 2 whole hours.  And then of course, on other days, I may try to knock out a bunch of movies at once.

There's no way to get them all...even after I pare them down, it's still always too big of a list to watch them all in 31 days.  But I try my best.  Also, there are always movies not on this list that will get thrown in as the month goes on I'm sure.

And I'll post more in-depth reviews of all of the ones as I watch during the month.

Click on the Read More for the list!





So, in no particular order, here is my list for 31 Days of Halloween 2014!






A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET


It's been too long since I've watched the original.  Also, the new documentary about the series is further down my list, so it's a perfect time to watch this classic again.







ARCHIE'S WEIRD MYSTERIES


I love the Archies (and if you're not reading AFTERLIFE OF ARCHIE as a horror fan, you're missing out!)  And I love the idea of this cartoon.  Last year I only watched one of the Halloween specials, but this year will try to catch a couple others on days when I may only be able to spare 20 minutes or so.  Looking forward to seeing a little bit more of what this has to offer.







  BEETLEJUICE

This was on my list last year (and prior to that, I probably hadn't seen it in about 10 years or more.)  And I loved watching it then and will love watching it this year.  You need a few comedies on your list as well.  And that's one of the best parts about Halloween, it can be all kinds of things and still be Halloween.



BLOOD BEACH




This is one I had on my list last year, but didn't get to it.  I bought this VHS for super cheap a couple of years ago and have always wanted to watch it.  I usually prefer more atmospheric, spooky type stuff around Halloween (which is why some of my all time favorites like Dawn of the Dead don't make the list) but I've always been a sucker for this movie's poster.



BLOOD TRACKS



Never seen this one or really even heard of it till I saw it on Ebay.  Apparently a Swiss/USA co-production it's about a mutant family in the mountains preying on a 80's hair metal band and their nubile female groupies.  Which, you know, sounds like the best movie ever.  This is on VHS.



THE CHANGELING


This is one of my all time favorite creepy movies.  There are very few movies that can give me the creeps and outright frighten me...and this is one of them.  I had goosebumps on my goosebumps the first time watching this.  Great, great ghost story and been way too long since I've seen it.



THE CONJURING


I have this on Blu-Ray and have been dying to see it.  Yep, I never saw this when it was out in theaters although I really wanted to.  I've heard it's great and it seems like just the kind of horror movie I would dig and perfect for Halloween.  Kind of a Legend of Hell House vibe about it.  Also, I love that it's a period piece in the 70's.


CREEPSHOW


Not too much to say about this movie, it's great!  Romero hits it out of the park as usual.  Been awhile since I've watched it, so looking forward to it.  Also, this is the new Blu-Ray, which I bought a couple of years ago but still haven't checked out.



THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF

Of course I have to have at least one Hammer Horror film on my list.  So this year I decided to go with this one, which I saw a bunch as a kid, but don't think I've watched in probably 20 years if not more.




DEATH WARMED UP


Another super cheap VHS find.  Have never seen it, though I remember the VHS cover vividly from trips to the video store as a child (just like the Blood Beach above.)  Sounds like it might be pretty cool.  And there's something about watching a movie like this on VHS...just pure nostalgia for my video store horror watching teenage/college days.



DOCTOR PHIBES RISES AGAIN


Don't think I need to say more than Vincent Price!  Doctor Phibes!  (And though it's not on the official list, I have a feeling THEATRE OF BLOOD may creep on here at some point, too.)



DRACULA


I LOVE this 1979 Frank Langella Dracula (with Lawrence Olivier as Van Helsing!)  I think it's a kind of gothic masterpiece and I just love it to death!  Perfect for Halloween.





ELVIRA: MISTRESS OF THE DARK


It's not Halloween without Elvira, who, in this horror host's heart, is probably the best of our profession ever.  Love this movie.  I always thought if WOWMS ever made a movie, it would be in the vein of this movie (and Saturday the 14th, Transyvania 6-5000, etc.)


COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE (HOSTED BY ELVIRA)



I've got a ton of Elvira hosted movies on DVD and VHS.  Both from her new show and her old and various video hosting gigs.  So, while I did Paul Naschy movies, I will admit I just kind of picked this one at random.  But I can't watch movies for Halloween without at least one Elvira hosted movie.




THE EVIL DEAD


Like many of these choices, this is a new Blu-Ray I bought awhile back and never got a chance to watch.  Maybe this month will be the time!  When I was younger, I spent way more time watching Evil Dead 2, but I do love the original.




SCOOBY DOO!  FRANKENCREEPY


A brand new Scooby Doo movie that came out this year and one of many Scooby Doo items on the list.  Hey, I LOVE Scooby Doo.  And there are a ton of these animated movies I've never seen.  This cover jumped out at me and I loved the description.  Plus, it sounds like some of these newer movies take more than a few cues from the best Scooby Doo show ever: MYSTERY INCORPORATED.




FRANKENSTEIN SINGS (or MONSTER MASH: THE MOVIE)


Okay, this movie starring Boris Pickett and based on a musical he wrote is pretty darn horrible.  But in a wonderful way.  My awesome wife gave me this on VHS last year and while it is horrible...we both agreed that it was required Halloween viewing.  Will write more after viewing.


FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES


One of the best things I did last October was watch a ton of episodes of this show.  I watched it when it originally aired and loved it then (and had a HUGE crush on Robey) and was loving it last year.  I have them all on DVD and plan on catching as many episodes as I can this year.  Love this show.



GATE II



Another super cheap VHS find from a couple of years ago....I think I got it at a garage sale along with a VHS Dawn of the Dead and Phantasm II.   I don't even know if I've seen the original GATE.  But something tells me it won't matter too much.


GHOSTBUSTERS I & II


I'll be watching these movies in the best way possible.  At a Drive-In.  Dressed as a Ghostbuster and wearing a proton pack.  And hanging out next to Ecto-1.   Yes, this isn't just a movie, it's a self-promotion!    On Saturday, October 11, a bunch of cast members from the World of the Weird Monster Show will be appearing at the super awesome VOLO AUTO MUSEUM as some of your favorite characters from the movie GHOSTBUSTERS!  And we'll be there with Volo's amazing Ecto-1!   Come get your pictures taken with the Ghostbusters!   And after the Volo, we'll all be moving over to the McHenry Drive-In Theater to watch a double feature of GHOSTBUSTERS I and II!   Your ticket for Oct 11 at the Volo Auto Museum gets you in free to the Drive-In!   It's a perfect Halloween treat!    

For more info, check out the event at the Volo Auto Museum HERE



GHOSTWATCH


This fake BBC broadcast...featuring real TV personalities and news anchors...caused a huge commotion in the UK when it first aired (before reality TV.)   Sort of a Orson Welles War of the Worlds but with ghosts and on TV.   And I can see why....it's creepy as all hell!  It really is a beautifully put together show that is almost like "creepypasta: the movie."  Haven't seen it in a long time, but recently dug my region free DVD player out and so this Halloween is the time!  (This show also originally aired on Halloween night.)



GINGER SNAPS


An amazingly awesome werewolf movie that takes place on Halloween.  I love this movie.  It was on my list last year, but didn't make it.  This year I think I need to see it (and it will be hard not to watch GINGER SNAPS 2 right after.)



IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN


I don't think I need to explain why this is on the list.  If I could only watch one thing, this would be it.  As a kid, I recorded the audio on a tape player and would listen to it all year round.



HALLOWEEN I and II  (Rob Zombie)


I love Rob Zombie's movies.  But I'm not  going to lie.  I really did NOT like his Halloween when it first came out.   But the more I watch it, the more I like it.  And I dug part 2 when I saw it in the theater since it was so outright weird. 



HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH



Okay...I lied.  I said if I could only watch one thing it would be THE GREAT PUMPKIN.  It may actually be this.  I don't care what anyone says, I love this movie and think it's amazing.



HALLOWEEN


The John Carpenter classic.  A masterpiece from a man who has made a bunch of masterpieces.  Required viewing.



HOWLING II: YOUR SISTER IS A WEREWOLF


And sometimes you just need to watch a movie with the subtitle, "your sister is a werewolf."  You just have to.



LADY IN WHITE


Like SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, this is essential October viewing and a pretty unique little movie.  Love it.



THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE


Great movie based on a great book.   Also, I think the opening 5-10 minutes of this ranks in the best horror movie openings ever.  Everything leading up to and including the title credits is amazing.



THE LORDS OF SALEM


Remember what I said above about loving Rob Zombie's movies?  Will, this is near the top.  I loved this movie and watched it multiple times last year.  Perfect October movie.



MAD MONSTER PARTY


It's the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for Halloween!



MASTERS OF HORROR: DEER WOMAN & SICK GIRL


There are many great episodes from this anthology series but these are two of my favorites.  Especially Lucky McKee's SICK GIRL.




MAY


Speaking of Lucky McKee, here is his MAY.  A great, original horror film that takes place around...you guessed it...Halloween!




NEVER SLEEP AGAIN: THE ELM STREET LEGACY


I haven't had a chance to check this out yet and so I'm really looking forward to it.  It's been in my Netflix list for awhile now and this is the perfect time to watch!  Probably a double feature with this and the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.



NIGHT OF THE COMET


Just got the new Scream Factory Blu-Ray and can't wait to watch it!  Saw this in the theater as a kid (also this was the first movie I ever saw that had the dream within a dream jump scare and it scared the crap out of me!)  I don't think I've actually seen this in the last 5-10 years so looking forward to it.




THE PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL



Yes...that's Paul Lynde with KISS and Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch from WIZARD OF OZ.)  Thank Shatner for Youtube is all I have to say.   Saw this for the first time last Halloween and this, like FRANKENSTEIN SINGS, is now a staple.



PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE


I love this movie and I think I love it more every time I see it.  Great Brian DePalma movie with awesome Paul Williams music.  And Jessica Harper!  Gerrit Graham!  Like NIGHT OF THE COMET, this is the new Scream Factory Blu-Ray.



POLTERGEIST


I wasn't planning on having this be part of my list, but when I was pouring over the DVD shelves, it just jumped out at me.  Haven't seen this in a long while.



RE-ANIMATOR


One of my all time faves.  And you know, you need at least one HP Lovecraft movie on this list.  Also, I bought this Blu-Ray a couple of years ago and have still never watched it.



RESIDENT EVIL


These are not really good movies, but I love them.  They get more and more action as the series goes on, so I picked the first one which at least has some more traditional creepy mansion/zombie moments.  But Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez kicking zombie butt?  Sold!  Like POLTERGEIST, this was not one I thought I'd be picking but it shambled off the shelf and into my list.



RINGU and RINGU 2


I have not seen either of these in forever...and RINGU 2 only once.  But I can't wait to watch them again.  I remember finding RINGU 2 even scarier than RINGU, we'll see if that opinion stays the same!




SALEM'S LOT


Forget IT, this is the awesome Stephen King miniseries (this and STORM OF THE CENTURY.)  Perfect for the Halloween season!  3 hours of creepy greatness!



SCOOBY-DOO & SCOOBY-DOO 2


When these first came out, my love for Scooby Doo kept me from seeing them.  Also, while Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini were perfectly cast, I disliked the idea of Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne (not as bad now) and hated Prinze Jr as Fred (still don't like.)  But I've seen bits and pieces over time and I've kind of liked what I saw.  I think my Scooby Doo love has now grown past "nerd rage" and I can appreciate all aspects of the Scooby Doo franchise as what they are.  Plus, James Gunn has some funny stuff in these.



SCOOBY DOO! MYSTERY INCORPORATED


Not counting the original, SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU?, this is the best Scooby Doo show ever.  Just started watching from the beginning again and the viewing will continue into October which is perfect.  The overarching mystery of this show and its ending are epic.



SLEEPAWAY CAMP III: TEENAGE WASTELAND


Another grab from that garage sale VHS bin!



SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES


One of the perfect October movies.  Bradbury, as always, nails everything that is awesome about autumn, halloween and the midwest.



THE THING


Like GHOSTBUSTERS, I'll be watching this at the McHenry Drive-In!  While not directly tied to an event that the McHenry Drive-In is doing, the World of the Weird Monster Show will be up in that neck of the woods at the Volo Automuseum on October 18 as part of a 35th ALIEN anniversary celebration.  WOWMS cast members will be appearing as ALIEN crew members at the event.  More info is HERE.  And that night, the Drive-In is showing ET and THE THING, so we'll head over from Volo to watch THE THING!



TRANSYVANIA 6-5000



I have to watch this for Halloween.  I love it.  Plus, Geena Davis in this outfit is the hottest costume ever.



TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME


TWIN PEAKS is probably my favorite TV show ever.  If I was alone in a cabin in the woods and could only have one thing to watch...it would probably be TWIN PEAKS.  I unfortunately haven't been able to get the new Blu-Ray with the complete series and this film (and all the deleted scenes which I'm dying to see!) but I decided to put this on the list anyway.  I LOVE this movie.



UNIVERSAL CLASSIC MONSTERS


I couldn't pick just one.  I'm not sure which of these I'll be watching yet.  Though there's always a good bet for two of my favorites, FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN and HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.   I hope to be catching WOLFMAN, DRACULA and THE MUMMY at the McHenry Drive-In on 10/24!




VAMP


Was on my Netflix list...haven't seen it in a long time.  Might be perfect for a late night viewing at some point.



WILLARD


This was on my list last year and I didn't get to it.   Saw it in the theaters and then when I got it on DVD, but haven't watched since.  Remember really liking it.




WOLFMAN


Have had this extended DVD version for years, but haven't watched it yet.  Only saw the one time in theaters.




X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE


Those of you who didn't like this movie...you're wrong.  It's great.


There you go!  As I said above, I'll have more detailed reviews of them as I watch them.  And those entries will be much, much shorter (only a couple of movies each.)

Until then, Happy Halloween!














1 comment:

  1. WOW! That's quite a list!
    Great stuff on there, fun stuff... and at least one I kind of loathe.
    Should make for a fun month of views.

    ReplyDelete